I was able to pick up frozen ravioli for a really great price a few days ago. My husband loves fried ravioli so I decided to give making it homemade a try. If you buy it as an appetizer at a restaurant it’s a little expensive, but making it at home is not only easy, but it’s half the price. This is a great easy and delicious recipe that made the entire family very happy.
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 (24 count) box store-bought cheese ravioli (about 24 ravioli)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- store bought marinara sauce, heated, for dipping
- Pour enough olive oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, put the buttermilk and the bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.
- Working in batches, dip ravioli in buttermilk to coat completely. Allow the excess buttermilk to drip back into the bowl.
- Dredge ravioli in the bread crumbs. Place the ravioli on a baking sheet, and continue with the remaining ravioli.
- When the oil is hot, fry the ravioli in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried ravioli to paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle the fried ravioli with Parmesan and serve with a bowl of warmed marinara sauce for dipping.