I made the mistake of making this casserole as a main dish. I have been trying to incorporate two meatless meals in our menu per week, but I haven’t been very successful. I made this for dinner thinking what a great meatless meal it would be when it truth it would have made a much better side dish. I don’t blame the recipe I blame myself.
As for the dish in general it has a great flavor, makes a great presentation, and doesn’t cost much to make. It smells great cooking, and turned out perfect. As I said before it would make a wonderful side dish for me the word casserole was misleading. Thank you Wildflour for the great recipe.
- 2 quarts chopped cabbage
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup packed shredded American cheese or 1 Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, less if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup finely crushed butter flavored cracker
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, more if needed
1. Cook cabbage 5-7 minutes in salted water, drain well.
2. Combine soup, milk, cheese, salt and pepper in large bowl.
3. Microwave until cheese melts and is creamy. Stir occasionally.
4. Fold in cabbage.
5. Pour into 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
6. Mix cracker crumbs and melted butter.
7. Sprinkle evenly over top.
8. Bake in 350º over for 30-40 minutes until bubbly.