When I was a kid my Dad would make my Mom stuffed peppers occasionally because she loved them so much. Unfortunately when my Dad passed away his stuffed pepper recipe went with him. I have never found any place he had written it down. After a lot of looking around and my Mom and I putting our heads together we think we have come up with my Dads recipe.
Like I said before they are my Mom’s favorite so I decided to surprise her with an early Mother’s Day dinner of stuffed peppers. She was so surprised and so happy. She said they were fantastic and just like my Dad’s.
- 4 medium green bell peppers
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash bell peppers then cut them in half. Bring to a boil a large pot of water and place the pepper halfs into the water. Steam the peppers in the water for 15 minutes until the peppers are soft.
- After the peppers are soft remove them from the water and allow them to dry off.
- Place a skillet on a medium high and brown your ground beef. Once the meat is browned drain, then add the onion, and cook until the onion is tender.
- Next add corn, rice, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper . Mix together well and heat for an additional five minutes.
- Remove your skillet from the heat
- Place each of your pepper halves in a baking pan and being to stuff peppers. Fill each pepper half to the top, and then top with cheddar cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 or until heated through