When I started my quest for how to use up some extra watermelon I was looking for a watermelon sorbet. I don’t have an ice cream machine anymore so I had to take what I could get when it came to recipes. I never found a recipe that was exactly what I was looking for so I decided to improvise and come up with something I thought would work well.
A watermelon granita was perfect. I learned a trick from my Nana that if you don’t want something to freeze completely that adding one ounce of vodka would do the trick. Sure enough it worked perfect. The vodka had no flavor so it did not change the granita flavor, nor did you taste any alcohol in it what so ever.
We all loved this recipe! Its low in calorie and it’s fantastic!! It could not be any easier to make and it’s a great way to use up extra fruit!!
- 3 cups of seeded watermelon chunks
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ cup of light corn syrup
- 1 ounce of vodka (any vodka will work) (this is a VERY important ingredients don’t skip you won’t taste it) I used Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka
- Puree watermelon chunks in a blender and strain if necessary.
- In a large saucepan bring to a boil the watermelon puree, sugar, and corn syrup.
- Once the sugar has melted turn off the burner then allows the watermelon puree to cool down to room temperature.
- Mix in the vodka. The vodka is important to this recipe because although you cannot taste the vodka what it does is it prevents the puree from freezing into a solid block. Instead it will not free 100% which is what you are looking for. This will help you get a nice Granita. With most Granita recipes you are required to do a lot of scraping throughout the freezing process this will prevent you having to do the entire extra work. It works perfect!
- Once the vodka is stirred transfer the mixture to a Ziploc bag and freeze for 18-24 hours.
- Occasionally while the Granita is freezing just massage/knead the ingredients in the bag. This will help you accomplish the granite without a lot of work.
Number of Servings: 8
- 94 calories per serving
- 20 carbs
- 0 grams of fat
- 0 protein
- 4 sugar
*Nutritional information found on www.myfitnesspal.com this information will vary based on the products you use.*