A few days ago we had our water off for most of the day because of a broken pipe that was being fixed. I had one dinner planned, but at the last minute I changed it up for something a little easier like frozen egg rolls. I needed to make something that didn’t require the use of water. I had enough bottled water to wash my hands, but not enough to cook with. I didn’t want to pick anything up for dinner because we are still doing our “no eating out for a month” challenge. Frozen egg rolls would be perfect!
I needed something to go with the egg rolls, but I didn’t have a clue what to make. I remembered that we had a box of rice noodles in the pantry that I had been meaning to use. I wasn’t sure what to do with them. I received the box in the mail to try. After looking online for a while at a few different recipes I decided to take what I liked and what I had on hand and put them all together.
Everyone in our house loved this. Actually raved about it! This was the first time I have ever had rice noodles and I must say I love them, and I love this recipe!!
- 1 cup salad shrimp cooked or precooked
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz. box Pad Thai Rice Noodles (such as Annie Chuns)
- 4oz can of mushrooms drained
- 1 teaspoon pure black sesame oil
- 3 + tablespoons of soy sauce adjust to taste (you may want to use reduced salt)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl soak rice noodles for 10 minutes in extremely hot water. If your tap water doesn’t get very hot you may want to soak them in water than has been boiled.
- As the noodles are soaking sauté chopped onion in oil in a large skillet until it starts getting a golden hue, then add the garlic. Sauté until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add mushroom, shrimp, sesame oil, sugar and soy sauce cook for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked then add drained rice noodles
- Mix well so that the noodles and the other ingredients are well blended together. This can be a challenge because initially the rice noodles are not very cooperative! Cook an additional for 5 minutes or so making sure that the dish is well heated, then add additional soy sauce if needed.